We realize that it's hard to give up a full day of your weekend to attend formal training. This is a four-hour course that focuses on the use of a handgun as a defensive tool. It is designed for individuals who already possess good firearm safety skills and marksmanship, but who have little experience with handguns as a tool of personal defense. The subject matter is geared toward discovering a firearm and shooting style that fits the student's needs for self defense or home protection. This course can be scheduled as private instruction or as a small-group course as your schedule allows. Students should expect to shoot up to 250 rounds during this course (not included). Topics will include:
- Rules of Safe Gun Handling
- Parts and Operation of the Pistol
- Holster, Accessory, and Ammunition Selection
- Laws for Owning and Carrying a Pistol
- Use of Deadly Force
- Fundamentals of Shooting
- Live Fire Exercises
- How to Communicate with Responding Emergency Personnel and Law Enforcement
Suggested Equipment List:
- A pistol (semi-automatic or revolver) in good working order
- 250 rounds of ammunition for the handgun
- Two or more spare magazines or speed loaders for your firearm and a storage method for them such as a magazine pouch
- A strong side belt holster for your firearm*
- Safety glasses
- Hearing protection
- A hat
- Cleaning supplies and tools for your weapon
The approximate length of this course will be 4 hours.
Students should expect to shoot up to 250 rounds.
* Shoulder holsters, small of the back holsters, and cross-draw holsters will require approval before the student uses them on the range.