This is a one day course that will focus on shooting techniques and problem solving when the student is ambushed or taken by surprise at close range. This course blends the use of a pistol with edged weapons, strikes / combative techniques, and other defensive tools. Techniques for maintaining control of and employing a firearm during a struggle will be taught. Ultimately, students will develop their own defensive plan based on their everyday carry and equipment loadout.
Attendance in Defensive Pistol I is not a requirement for this course, but prior training is required. Students will need to present proof of prior training when registering.
Students should expect to shoot up to 500 rounds during this course. Topics will include:
- Shooting from Positions of Disadvantage
- Weapon Retention / Combatives Techniques when attacked from ambush at close distance
- One-Handed Malfunction Clearing
- Effective Use of Cover and Concealment
- Communicating with Responding Emergency Personnel and Law Enforcement
- A pistol (semi-automatic or revolver) in good working order
- Two or more spare magazines or speed loaders for your firearm and a storage method for them such as a magazine pouch
- A training knife (if student possesses one)
- A strong side belt holster for your firearm*
- Approximately 500 rounds of ammunition for your firearm
- Cleaning supplies and tools for your weapon
* Shoulder holsters, small of the back holsters, and cross-draw holsters WILL NOT BE ALLOWED on the range without prior approval due to safety concerns.